Modernism; American Poetry; Literature and the Arts
Frances Dickey teaches courses on American literature after 1865 and specializes in modern poetry and its relations to other arts. Most recently, she co-edited Vol. 3 of The Complete Prose of T. S. Eliot: Literature, Politics, Belief, 1927-1929 and the Edinburgh Companion to T. S. Eliot and the Arts. In The Modern Portrait Poem from Dante Gabriel Rossetti to Ezra Pound, she examines the development of poetic portraiture in connection with painting from the 1860's to the 1920's, focusing on T. S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, and William Carlos Williams. She has also published articles on the poetry of Robert Frost, Walt Whitman, Elizabeth Bishop, and T. S. Eliot. She is currently working on sensation in T. S. Eliot's poetry, especially how his representation of sensation was shaped by the urban conditions of St. Louis.
- Johns Hopkins University, MA and PhD
- Harvard University, AB
Books and Editions
- The Edinburgh Companion to T. S. Eliot and the Arts, co-editor with John Morgenstern. Edinburgh University Press, 2016.
- The Complete Prose of T. S. Eliot: The Critical Edition, Vol. III: 1927-1929, co-editor with Ronald Schuchard and Jennifer Formicelli. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2015.
- The Modern Portrait Poem: From Dante Gabriel Rossetti to Ezra Pound. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2012.
Articles and Review Essays
- “My Madness Singing”: The Specter of Syphilis in Prufrock and Other Observations, with Bradford Barnhardt. The T. S. Eliot Studies Annual II (2018), forthcoming.
- “T. S. Eliot's The Waste Land.” British Literature I: Major Authors and Movements. Ed. Kirilka Stavreva. Farmington Hills: Gale, 2017. Gale Researcher.
- “Victorian Song Across the Modernist Divide” in Beyond the Victorian/Modernist Divide, ed. Anne-Florence Gillard-Estrada and Anne Levita. Routledge, 2018.
- “The Musical World of Eliot's Inventions” and “"Mandarins" at the Museum of Fine Arts Boston” in The Edinburgh Companion to T. S. Eliot and the Arts, Edinburgh UP, 2016.
- Review of Jahan Ramazani's Poetry and Its Others: News, Prayer, Song, and the Dialogue of Genres, in Twentieth-Century Literature.60.3 (Fall 2014): 405-413
- “Pound and Eliot” with Alec Marsh, American Literary Scholarship: An Annual 2012, Duke UP, 2014: 133-152.
- “Yeats And,” Essays in Criticism 63.1 (Jan 2013): 97-103. Review essay of three books on Yeats.
- “Prufrock and Other Observations: A Walking Tour in the Blackwell Companion to T. S. Eliot ed. David Chinitz. Chichester: Wiley Blackwell, 2009.
- “Opening the Box," Essays in Criticism 57.1 (Winter 2007): 73-81. Review essay of Elizabeth Bishop's Edgar Allan Poe and the Juke-Box: Uncollected Poems, Drafts, and Fragments.
- “Parrot's Eye: A Portrait by Manet and Two by T. S. Eliot" Twentieth-Century Literature 52.2 (Summer 2006): 1-34.
- “Bishop, Dewey, Darwin: What Other People Know" Contemporary Literature 44.2 (Summer 2003): 301-331.
- "Love of Comrades: The Urbanization of Community in Whitman's Poetry and Pragmatist Philosophy," co-authored with Jimmie Killingsworth. Walt Whitman Quarterly 21.1 (Summer 2003): 1-24.
- "Questions that Have No Reply: Robert Frost's Problem of Other Minds" New England Quarterly 75.2 (June 2002): 299-311.
- President of the International T. S. Eliot Society, 2016-18
- Andrew J. Kappell Prize in Literary Criticism from Twentieth-Century Literature, 2006
- Purple Chalk Award for Undergraduate Teaching, 2008
- T. S. Eliot Young Scholar Award, 2003