Middle English Literature
Emma Lipton's first book, Affections of the Mind: The Politics of Sacramental Marriage in Late Medieval English Literature (Notre Dame UP, 2007) explores the social and religious politics of marriage in the work of Chaucer, Gower, and Margery Kempe and in the N-Town Mary Plays. Her second book, Culture of Witnessing: Law and the York Plays, investigates the relationship between legal and dramatic ideas of witnessing in the York plays. She was formerly the book review editor of Studies in the Age of Chaucer.
BA 1986, Yale University
PhD 1998, Duke University
- “Gender, Marriage and the Legal Culture of Witnessing” in The Cambridge Companion to Law and Literature in Medieval England, ed. Candace Barrington and Sebastian Sobecki, forthcoming from Cambridge University Press, September 2019.
- “Activist Feminism and the Wife of Bath’s Tale” forthcoming in Chaucer Review 54.3 (July 2019).
- “Space and the Culture of Witnessing in the York Entry into Jerusalem.” Forthcoming in Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies, 49: 2 (May 2019): 295-318.
- “Witnessing and Legal Affect in the York Passion Plays,” in Affect, Feeling and Emotion: The Medieval Turn, ed. Glenn Burger and Holly Crocker, forthcoming from Cambridge University Press, May 2019, pp. 158-80.
- "Love and Marriage in the Wife of Bath's Prologue" in The Open Access Companion to the Canterbury Tales, ed. Candace Barrington, Brantley L. Bryant, Richard H. Godden, Daniel T. Kline, and Myra Seaman, https://opencanterburytales.dsl.lsu.edu/the-wife-of-baths-prologue/ (2017)
- “Beyond Kittredge: Teaching Marriage in the Canterbury Tales” for new edition of Approaches to Teaching Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, ed. Frank Grady and Peter Travis (MLA, 2014)
- “Justice, Law and Representation in Lydgate’s ‘Disguising at Hertford,’” Journal of English and Germanic Philology 113. 3 (2014): 342-64.
- “Exemplary Cases: Marriage as Legal Principle in Gower’s Traitié Pour Essampler Les Amantz Marietz” Chaucer Review 48.4 (2014): 480-501.
- Affections of the Mind: The Politics of Sacramental Marriage in Late Medieval English Literature University of Notre Dame Press, 2007.
- "Language on Trial: Performing the Law in the N-Town Trial Play" The Letter of the Law: Legal Practice and Literary Production in Medieval England ed. Candace Barrington and Emily Steiner. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2002, pp. 115-35.
- "Performing Reform: The Marriage of Mary and Joseph in the N-Town Cycle." Studies in the Age of Chaucer 22 (2001): 407-35.