office: 179 General Services Building
Liberal arts education and career preparation
A 2003 William T. Kemper Fellow for Teaching Excellence, Patricia Okker teaches nineteenth-century American literature, with special emphasis on American periodicals. She is the author of Our Sister Editors: Sarah J. Hale and the Tradition of Nineteenth-Century Women Editors (University of Georgia Press, 1995) and Social Stories: The Magazine Novel in Nineteenth-Century America (University of Virginia Press, 2003). She is also editor of Transnationalism and American Serial Fiction (Routledge, 2011). She currently serves as Interim Deputy Provost.
PhD 1990, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
- Patricia Okker. Social Stories: The Magazine Novel in Nineteenth-Century America. University of Virginia Press, 2003.
- Patricia Okker. Our Sister Editors: Sarah J. Hale and the Tradition of Nineteenth-Century American Women Editors. University of Georgia Press, 1995
- Patricia Okker, ed. Transnationalism and American Serial Fiction. Routledge, 2011.
- 4970: Capstone Experience: Career Preparation for English Majors
- 3300: Survey of American Literature, Beginnings to 1865
- 4310/7310 and English 8310: American Women Writers, 1820-1865
- 4310/7310 and English 8310: Nineteenth-Century American Novel
- 8310: Periodicals and Nineteenth-Century American Literature
- 8310: Nineteenth-Century American Novel
- William T. Kemper Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching